Hero's Honor is a special death benefit available to some emergency medical service (EMS) providers. It is managed by the Indiana Public Retirement System. For only $100 per year, per employee, Hero's Honor provides a $150,000 line-of-duty special death benefit to:
- EMS workers employed by a person that has contracted with a political subdivision;
- Emergency medical service providers performing air ambulance services employed by a health care system affiliated with a state educational institution;
- Police officers and firefighters* who work for non-state post-secondary educational institutions;
- Police officers employed by an operator**, and
- Firefighters who work for a public use airport that maintains a fire department.
*accredited by the North Central Association
**under IC 8-22-3-34(b)
For more information about the benefit, click here.
Call our Member Service Center with your concerns toll-free at (844) GO-INPRS. Business hours are Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. EST, or e-mail questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.